Thursday, December 15, 2011

Granny Beulah Fish Wilde

Granny Beulah...

Steady

Church in her best clothes (always in her best clothes)

Hair in place

Head held high

Smooth, soft, delicate skin

Beautiful




Baked chicken; turnip greens; green beans - chicken bouillon cubes, pinch of sugar, pinch of salt, little butter, potatoes, cooked to pieces; sliced tomatoes; cornbread; and sweet tea...

Could talk politics or technology with her and she would nod her head with an "oh" or "hmm" but throughout the "serious" conversation she would interrupt with "are the potatoes done?" or "Is the chicken tender enough?" or "these are the best tomatoes I think I've ever eat, try one of 'em honey."...

That was Granny Beulah

Everything about her was warm - the room, the covers, the den, the lights, her kiss goodnight; you could lay your head on her lap and she would rub your hair like there was nothing else she'd rather do...
She didn't talk about particular Scriptures as I remember but you felt somehow that she had already figured everything out, long ago and it was Good and Holy and it was yours whenever you're ready...

Growing up, I always felt that she was somehow involved (through her Prayers) in getting me through situations when I had acted recklessly...I felt that she was involved in helping me find Diane (I was looking for a woman with her qualities)...I felt that her Prayers helped us have a healthy Caitlyn, then Emma, and Jacob...as though she had a private connection with Jesus and He was listening to her

As I have grown older both physically and in Faith, I know the power of those Prayers she faithfully spoke.  I also know how powerful she was in character and the reason for it was her steadfast love of Jesus Christ. He was her partner for the last 31 years of her life (Paw Abe died in 1980) and she trusted Him.  She sought to be like Him.  I know now what I've always known about her and what made her the type of person I want to be and my children to be.

She was beautiful inside and out.  That was Granny Beulah.

No comments:

Post a Comment